February 21, 2012

Best Berry Smoothie Recipe

























A few of my New Year's resolutions included eating breakfast daily (I was a habitual skipper) and losing weight.  A friend had seen Alton Brown, of Food Network fame, talk about his Food Lists for Weight Loss on the Dr. Oz Show (thanks, Linda).  I gave Alton's show appearance a google and came up with four lists:

  • Dark leafy greens
  • Nuts
  • Carrots
  • Green tea
  • Whole grains
  • Fruits
  • Yogurt
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Sweet potato
  • Avocado
  • Oily fish
  • Tofu
  • Red meat
  • White starch
  • Desserts
  • Alcohol
  • Soda
  • Processed meals
  • Canned soups
  • “Diet” anything
Of the six foods to eat on a daily basis, I could knock three out by whipping them up in a blender:  nuts, whole grains and fruits.  Oh, I should add that Alton lost 50 lbs. following this diet.  Pretty darn impressive!

After a wee bit of trial and error, I came up with the perfect smoothie recipe that I now enjoy most every morning.


BEST BERRY SMOOTHIE

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 handfuls of frozen berries (I buy the big bag at Costco)
  • 1 carton of Greek yogurt - I like the honey flavor, but you can use plain and add a squeeze or two from the honey bear
  • 6 roasted almonds (you can buy them raw and bake on a cookie sheet at 350° for 10-12 minutes)
  • 1 handful of uncooked oatmeal
  • 1 splash of light vanilla soy milk (you can use cow's milk.  Personal preference).

Add all ingredients to the blender and liquefy.  Try it.  It's super yummy!  I feel the lbs. dropping off. ;)

If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! 

~Merrill

No comments: