November 4, 2012

Good Food for a Good Cause

My beloved and I recently attended a fundraiser for Silver Springs - Martin Luther School, an agency that provides trauma recovery and treatment for abused children.  Philadelphia Superstar and Iron Chef Jose Garces selected the menu items, paired the wines and was on hand with his personal team of 14 to supervise the preparation of the dinner.  The sopa de castano, a truffle chestnut soup with duck and wild mushroom hash, was my favorite.  I understand they serve this at Tinto, one of his 15 restaurants.  I'm going!



Three boys served by Silver Springs.


Chef Garces autographed "The Latin Road Home," his new cookbook, travelogue and memoir which takes us to Spain, Cuba, Mexico and Peru.


Chef Garces and his wife, Dr. Beatriz Garces, run The Garces Family Foundation, dedicated to improving the health and education of the underprivileged migrant population of the Greater Philadelphia Area.  Excellent!

~Merrill   
 

No comments: