November 19, 2012

Mexican Casserole with Cornbread Crust

I love casseroles, Mexican food and cornbread!  This Mexican casserole with cornbread crust is a marriage made in heaven.  My beloved declared that he could eat it three or four times a week.  Need I say more?  It is super easy to make, and yummy!


I will share with you from the get-go that I made my Mexican casserole vegan style, but do not freak out as meat eater instructions are included as well.  My vegan version is for my husband who took the plant-based plunge about four months ago.  At last count, he had lost 39 lbs. and feels like a million bucks!  Read my blog post about why and how he did it.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup milk (I used soy.  We drink almond milk and use it in our cereal, but it's a tad on the sweet side.  For savory dishes, I prefer soy milk)
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce OR 1 egg, lightly beaten (use one or the other.  Not both!)
  • 1 can (14 oz.) cream of corn
  • 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning, divided
  • 1 cup (8 oz.) shredded cheddar and/or Jack (I used Daiya brand, equal parts pepper jack and cheddar - melts like a dream)
  • 8 1/2 oz. corn muffin mix - Jiffy contains lard (pig fat), just so you know.  If that's okay with you, then use one box.  I use appx. 2/3 of a box of Yankee Cornbread & Muffin Mix by Gluten Free Pantry, owned by Glutino. 
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large white onion, diced
  • 1 can (10 oz.) enchilada sauce, divided
  • 1 can (14 oz.) chili beans
  • 3 cups cooked meat (like shredded rotisserie chicken or ground beef), or meat substitute.  I used fake chicken, but Boca crumbles work nicely, too.
  • Fresh cilantro for garnish, chopped


DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 9" x 13" baking dish.
  • In a bowl, combine milk, egg OR applesauce, cream of corn, chopped green chilies, 1 1/2 teaspoons of taco seasoning and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.  Add dry corn muffin mix and stir until just combined.  Pour into greased 9" x 13" baking dish and spread evenly.  Bake for 20 minutes.
  • While the corn bread is baking, heat olive oil and brown onions over medium high heat.  Add meat or meat substitute the remaining taco seasoning, chili beans (don't drain them) and 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce.
  • When the corn bread is ready, it will barely set and still be miost.  That is okay.  Pierce the entire surface with a fork.  Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the cornbread and use the back of a spoon to spread evenly over the top.
  • Evenly top with the meat (real/fake) and bean mixture and remaining cheese.
  • Return to oven for 15 minutes until it is warm and cheese is melted.
  • Top with chopped cilantro.
Enjoy!

~Merrill  


 

No comments: